A very happy 2018 to you! This year has dawned in the same way you turn over the page in your favourite book and a new chapter is revealed. It’s still part of the story, but it’s the next season; this signifies change may be coming.
After a really happy few days getaway to a little farm off the R60 over Christmas, I’ve had to hit my work desk between then and now and just hanging on until I have next week off – beach days here we come! So for me, the turning over of the old year to the new has just rumbled on and I’ve yet had a real chance to sit down and think about what I’d like to do, see, experience or BE this year; call it a resolution or call it making a change in a new season, there’s definitely space to do some of that.
Some of the things I’m looking forward to implementing in 2018 include:
• Eating healthier with more greens and less meat. Ideally, I’d like to do two days a week where I’m meat free (at the very least).
• Dry in the week, drinks on the weekend (we’ll see how this goes…)
• Becoming more eco-conscious. By this I mean using less plastic and avoiding single-use plastic where possible.
• Recycling properly: bins for cardboard, tins & glass, plastic
• Installing a better water catchment / saving system in our household (we are in a drought zone in Cape Town)
• Participating more in our local Good Food Club and buying more produce from smaller distributors, local farmers and from free range / organic sources
• Getting my exercise regime OFF THE GROUND. This time it’s for real. I have new awesome gym pants that need some wearing in.
• Continuing to spend time out in nature with my family: hikes, walks, beaching, biking, exploring
It appears that my theme for the year is ‘Green in 2018’! While there are a host of other things I am keen to tackle – painting, restoring, gardening – focusing on a more eco-conscious lifestyle for myself, my hubby and kids is going to set us well to tackle the normal pressures and stresses of life.
I’ll be at my ‘new’ job for two years come May, my eldest is starting (big) pre-school towards the end of the month and turning four in April, my little one is marching onward RAPIDLY towards 18 months and will be turning two in August, and my hubby and I will be married 8 years this year.
And so while we’ve turned the new year and there’s plenty to keep us busy, it’s the awareness that slowing down is always important; don’t rush things, take your time and do it well. Enjoy cooking, take an early morning walk on a Sunday, close your eyes and sit in the morning sunshine, sip on a perfectly brewed cup of coffee, sweat it out on an evening run through your neighbourhood, enjoy a glass of wine with a friend, go away for the weekend…
It’s time to slow down, enjoy and go Green in 2018. Join me!