So as soon as I knew I was pregnant with Baby Number Two, I knew that we’d need to eventually move Ben into his new ‘big-boy’ bedroom. Problem was, his new bedroom was our home office SLASH dumping ground for camping equipment, extra jackets and shoes, stationery cupboard and general household bric-a-brac. There.was.a.lot.to.do.
Bring on the July school holidays. Since I had just started a new job, I didn’t have any time off so my dear husband (who, as a schoolteacher, has the whole three weeks) began to tackle the monster job that was converting our office into Benjamin’s new room and finding a home for all the junk mentioned above.
I of course, headed off to Pinterest, because where else to start, really. I wanted something bright and funky, something that would see him into his school years with ease. Lime green, navy, grey and white were the colours I wanted to go with, and so I started a Pinterest album, and created a bit of a moodboard (see below).
What we did:
- Remove the desk (but keep the white shelving) – Ed
- Install a single white bed that we’d had up in the garage – Ed
- Remove the old mirror in the alcove next to the cupboards – Ed
- Paint the exposed wall – me, in pregnant mode
- Install white shelves in the alcove – Ed, armed with his new Ryobi drill
- Install new black curtain rail – Ed (again, the drill)
- Install wall panel heater – Ed (again, the drill features!)
- Hang dark green curtains gifted to us by my mom – me
- Paint the green stripes on the cupboard – my mom
- Stick the navy world map (via mywalltattoos) onto the cupboard – me (PAINSTAKINGLY)
- Paint the toy box and bookcase lime green & navy – my mom
- Lay down slip-proof backing & the cream carpet – my mom & I
- Put the new white star-theme linen on the bed – me
- Add the navy & white striped eiderdown – my mom in law
- Make home-made bunting & hang – me
- Sort out the cupboards (inside) including finding a place for all Benjamin’s clothes – me (a job I do not wish to repeat)
- Install hooks for bags, towels & jackets – Ed
- Add all finishing touches (books, teddies, toys, foam letter flooring, pictures) – me
THE BEFORE SHOTS
The hideously cluttered office…
The very boring cupboard door…
AND THE AFTER!
New bed alcove, shelving, book nook & play space, installed shelves & art corner!
The awesome navy blue map wall art, stuck to the revamped cupboards…
Toddler in his element 🙂
SHEW-WEE! And then I still needed to go have a baby.